Bridge to Benefits A multi-state project by Children’s Defense Fund Minnesota to improve the well-being of families and individuals by linking them to public work support programs and tax credits.
- MNsure (Minnesota Health Coverage)
- Families in Tough Economic Times This website has resources to help families tackle tough times today and tomorrow. Developed by the University of Minnesota Extension Center for Family Development.
- Stay Warm Minnesota This website is full of useful information regarding energy efficiency and heating assistance programs provided by the federal and state government, private industry, non profits and our energy utilities.
- Prepare + Prosper (Formerly AccountAbility Minnesota) Tax preparation and financial education for low-income individuals and small businesses.
- LawHelpMN.org Answers to legal questions, links to legal aid offices.
- Attorney General - Consumer Protection Online library of legal resources, consumer protection updates
- Minnesota Child Care Resource and Referral Network Information for families and providers about quality child care. Search tool to help families locate quality child care in their community.
- Minnesota Elder Economic Security Initiative (MinnEESI)
- Don’t Borrow Trouble MinnesotaCampaign to promote success among those targeted by predatory lenders
- Family Assets for Independence in Minnesota (FAIM)Offers IDAs to the working poor, including savings matches and financial education
- Homeownership CenterFor Minnesotans interested in locating support and services to be successful homeowners.
- Minnesota Department of Revenue Info on federal and state tax credits in 11 languages.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Information to help consumers better understand finance and credit laws.
- Minnesota Housing Finance Agency Info about products and services to help Minnesotans buy and fix their homes through low interest rate loans and assistance programs.
- The Cost of Living in Minnesota Calculator Create a basic family budget and calculate the wages needed to meet the budget
- What’s My Score Campaign to educate college students and new credit card users about credit scores
- Minnesota Council on Economic EducationFree training for educators to teach financial education in the classroom.
- Ways to Work The nation’s largest and most successful alternative to predatory auto loans for low income working families.
Financial Literacy Education
- CFPB’s Your Money Your Goals (YMYG) Toolkit Toolkit to help front line staff and volunteers as they work with consumers
- Financial Education Clearinghouse Community-level financial literacy tools, many are free
- Fannie Mae Foundation Tools on saving and how to buy a home
- Federal Reserve of ChicagoNational consumer and economic development resources
Budgeting and Building Good Credit
- Community Action Partnership Change your life through better money management
- MyMoney.gov The federal government's site to help Americans understand more about their money
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling Find a certified financial counselor in your area
- MyFICOTake control of your credit by learning more on your credit score and report
- Consumer Protection Information Avoid scams in investments, identity theft, and credit
- The Center for Responsible Lending Advocates against predatory lending, pay day lending, and predatory financial practices
IDAs and AssetBuilding
- American Dream Demonstration ProjectStudy on IDAs as a route to economic independence for low-income Americans
- Assets and Opportunity Scorecard (sponsored by CFED) Study that ranks states on how easy or hard it is for families to achieve the American Dream
- CFEDResources to promote effective programs for expanding economic opportunity
- Center for Social DevelopmentResearch from the leading academic center on asset building, or strategies that promote saving and investment
- AARP Tax-AideProvides free tax assistance and counseling to taxpayers
- Center on Budget Priorities Outreach materials on the EITC including fact sheets, brochures, posters, and forms in many languages
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Features an EITC Assistant that helps determine if you are qualified for the EITC, in English and Spanish.
Tools for Practitioners
- Knowledge Plex Financial literacy news for community development professionals
- National Community Tax Coalition Technical assistance site for free tax preparation
- National Congress for Community Economic Development Trade association for community and economic development organizations
- Make Tax Time Pay! Outreach materials on the EITC translated into 20 languages
- Community-Wealth.org Current information on community-based economic development
For Kids, Teens, and Teachers
- Thrive by FiveTM Free activities to encourage healthy attitudes about money in preschoolers
- NEFE Teen Resource Bureau (NTRB) Youth-oriented resource for youth learning money management skills
- Consumer Jungle Turn high school students into savvy consumers without putting them to sleep
- The Mint Interactive info for middle and high school students on earning, saving, investing and spending
- Jump$tart Promotes the teaching of personal finance in school
- Junior Achievement Promotes business and personal finance education for children and youth.